Best of January: Beer Week in San Francisco
Here’s a round-up of the best of SF Beer Week! If you don’t live near the San Francisco Area or just missed your chance to come, live vicariously through this round-up of what went down!
With the beginning of a new year, there are so many more things to look forward to in the Bay Area. If that’s not enough of an excuse to go outside in this rain, then I don’t know what is.
Monday, January 25
- The Dudes’ Tap Takeover – With the goal of putting Los Angeles craft beer on the map, the Dudes’ came to Southpaw BBQ on Mission Street to showcase their awesome brews. Did you join the fun?
- Musical Cafe Winter Showcase – From January 25 to 30, Musical Cafe offered four original and new musical theater works at PianoFight on Taylor Street in San Francisco. The works included: Castle Happy, Lefty and Liela Get It Right, Nitwits, and The Right Note.
Tuesday, January 26
- 3rd Annual Barrel Aged Festival – Featured 30+ taps of “barrel aged goodness”. Participating breweries included Fifty Fifty, Almanac, Deschutes (YES!), Sierra Nevada, and Crux Fermentation Project.
- Dandelion Chocolate and Beer Tasting – A five-part chocolate and beer pairing… No tickets necessary.
- The Brewers Roundtable – Told about the current trends in the craft beer world, as brewers from Societe Brewing Company, Sante Adairius Rustic Alies, Monkish Brewing Co., and Highland Park meet up at the Hop Grenade Taproom & Bottleshop in Concord.
- Laughing Tomato Comedy – Submission Edition – A free night of comedy featuring Ricky Del Rosario. He has actually been asked to submit a 30-minute special to Comedy Central and will be filming it right in Rohnert Park at Sally Tomatoes. Early arrivals were treated for dinner and Lagunitas specials.
- Sierra Nevada Brunch for Dinner – Described as a tap takeover with brunch foods made with Sierra Nevada beers, this event took place at Freehouse in Berkeley all day. There was no admission fee, though you obviously had to pay for the booze and food.
Wednesday, January 27
- Dolores Park Grand Opening – With the initial grand opening postponed from January 14, many people had been anxiously waiting for the renovations to finally be completed at one of San Francisco’s most popular parks. The theme for the event was “Light Up Dolores,” and organizers requested attendees to “get creative and light up [their] clothing and equipment.” #LoveDolores
- HolyCraft Brewery : “Magnum Pie” Pizza – Food Network-featured chef Tony Gemignani introduced an exclusive pizza made with Holy Craft beer cooked into it. So good!
Thursday, January 28
- Santa Clara Valley Brewing Night – Hosted at Armadillo Willy’s BBQ in San Jose, there was a meet-and-greet with one of the South Bay’s up-and-coming breweries, Santa Clara Valley Brewing. Some great BBQ and booze!
- Beer Trivia Night – Beer enthusiasts were pit against one another to see who knew the most about all things beer. There were fun beer prizes for the winners!
- Behind the Scenes at the Exploratorium – “Join UW School of Human Ecology alums for a special evening at the Exploratorium.” Dr. Kristina Hooper Woolsey shared knowledge of the design thinking process behind the relocation that occurred in 2013.
- Latin Dance Night – Danced the night away with DJ Wonway at the Press Club in San Francisco. He played all genres of Latin dance music throughout the night.
Friday, January 29
- Oysters and Stout: An Unexpectedly Awesome Happy Hour – Two of my favorite things in this world. I mean, honestly, who doesn’t love oysters and stout?
- Pancakes & Booze Art Show – A two-day event, this art show took place at Minna Gallery in San Francisco on Friday and Saturday. Let me tell you– these guys and gals have hit the nail on the head with the free pancakes. Plus, I always love supporting local artists.
Did you partake in any of these events for SF’s Beek Week? Let us know what you thought was the best. Most of these were beer-related, so if that’s not your thing, keep your eyes peeled for other events. There’s always so much to do in the Bay Area! We’ll inform you of the best things to do when you travel.