Climbing Carihuairazo Volcano (5.018 m / 16,463 ft) is one of the not too challenging climbs of a mountain with more than 5.000 m (16,000 ft) height. The tour is technically not difficult, has only a small snow/glacier section (depending on weather conditions), but some acclimatization and fitness are required. Carihuairazo is a perfect acclimatization tour, preparing oneself for Cotopaxi, Cayambe or Chimborazo. Definitely not for everyone - join us!
The climb has some technical parts and requires good fitness as well as a good level of frustration tolerance, as conditions can be tricky there, and of course previous glacier travel experience.
Another very important point is proper acclimatization. To really enjoy the climb we recommend at least 2 days of preparation, including hikes in altitude and steadily increasing your sleeping altitude if possible.
Any questions? Reach out to our climbing experts on email@example.com or +593968959533 (WhatsApp or call).
- see program / itinerary
- certified bi-lingual guide (ASEGUIM / IVBV - UIAGM - IFMGA), max. 1 guide per 2 climbers
- transportation in private vehicle from / to Quito
- accommodation at camp in tent with dinner and breakfast
- park entrance fees & climbing permits
- meals as specified (lunch on day 1, snacks for the ascent)
- group equipment: ropes and other guiding gear
- catering (see program)
- personal technical equipment (harness, helmet, crampons, ice axe, carabiners, screws, slings etc.)
- sleeping bag and pad for tent / camp, boots and other private equipment - check our equipment list
- insurances (please make sure that you have an insurance covering risks of mountain climbing)
- cost for program changes
- tips & any other expenses not explicitly mentioned
- 60 or more days prior to departure: the total amount paid will be refunded, minus handling & administrative charges (if any)
- 59 - 30 days prior to departure: 50% of the total amount paid will be forfeited
- 29 and less days prior to departure: the total amount paid will be forfeited
You are an individual climber and want to book a private tour / guide.
You are booking as a group of 2 or more people.
Please note that in case you select this option as an individual climber, your booking might be subject to cancellation, as we do not offer open groups.
DAY 1 + 2
Pick up in Quito at approx. 09.00 am, have lunch on the way. Then we drive to an Indian community (approx. 4.000 m / 13,123 ft), where we spend the night. After an early dinner it is time for rest. Depending on group size and weather conditions we start the ascent to Carihuairazo around 4 a.m. First we drive up to approx. 4.200 m / 13,780 ft and start the ascent. After 3 - 4 hours you will reach the summit. The descent takes another 2 - 3 hours. Transportation back to Quito, end of services.
tech. data day 1: ↑ 0 m / 0 ft | → 0 km / 0 mi
tech. data day 2: ↑ 818 m / 2683 ft ↓ 818 m / 2683 ft | ↔ 0 km / 0.0 mi
catering day 1: - / L / D
catering day 2: B / - / - (snacks for ascent will be provided)