Climbing the iconic Cotopaxi Volcano (5.897 m / 19,347 ft) is an epic target for many mountaineers coming to Ecuador. This beauty is said to be the world's highest active volcano. The view into its huge crater is simply breathtaking. Definitely a trip of a lifetime - join us!
Technically the climb is not very difficult, nevertheless good fitness is required and some previous glacier travel experience highly recommended.
Another very important point is proper acclimatization. To really enjoy the climb we recommend at least 4 days of preparation, including hikes in altitude and steadily increasing your sleeping altitude if possible.
Any questions? Reach out to our climbing experts on firstname.lastname@example.org or +593968959533 (WhatsApp or call).
- see program / itinerary
- certified bi-lingual guide (ASEGUIM / IVBV - UIAGM - IFMGA), max. 1 guide per 2 climbers
- transportation in private vehicle from / to Quito
- accommodation at refuge with dinner and breakfast
- park entrance fees & climbing permits
- meals as specified (lunch on day 1, snacks for the ascent)
- group equipment: ropes and other guiding gear
- catering (see program)
- personal technical equipment (harness, helmet, crampons, ice axe, carabiners, screws, slings etc.)
- sleeping bag for huts, boots and other private equipment - check our equipment list
- insurances (please make sure that you have an insurance covering risks of mountain climbing)
- cost for program changes
- tips & any other expenses not explicitly mentioned
- 60 or more days prior to departure: the total amount paid will be refunded, minus handling & administrative charges (if any)
- 59 - 30 days prior to departure: 50% of the total amount paid will be forfeited
- 29 and less days prior to departure: the total amount paid will be forfeited
You are an individual climber and want to book a private tour / guide.
You are booking as a group of 2 or more people.
Please note that in case you select this option as an individual climber, your booking might be subject to cancellation, as we do not offer open groups.
DAY 1 + 2
Pick up in Quito at approx. 10.30 am, drive towards Cotopaxi. We stop for lunch at Rondador restaurant (approx. 12:00), and continue then to the check in of Cotopaxi National Park. Afterwards we drive to the parking lot and hike up to Cotopaxi refuge at 4.865 m / 15,960 ft (45 min). If required there will be a small glacier training in the afternoon (walking techniques), early dinner and rest at the refuge (dorm). Wake up around midnight, small snack and start of the hike to the summit of COTOPAXI (5.897 m / 19,347 ft), which takes approximately 6 - 8 h. After ideally enjoying a breathtaking sunrise at the summit we descend (approx. 3 hours to the refuge, 30 mins to the parking lot) and return to Quito.
tech. data day 1: ↑ 220 m / 720 ft | → 0,8 km / 0.5 mi
tech. data day 2: ↑ 1060 m / 3480 ft ↓ 1280 m / 4200 ft | ↔ 7,5 km / 4.7 mi
catering day 1: - / L / D
catering day 2: B / - / - (snacks for ascent will be provided)