Experience the spectacular DEATH VALLEY NATIONAL PARK, the land of contrasts that captivates the imagination, a paradise for nature enthusiasts, and unbeatable Fall and Winter Season destination!
This trip is a great combination of the best highlights and landscapes, diverse hiking and comfortable rustic-style lodging. After the day of exploring, relax and chill out at Tecopa hot springs under incredible starlight!
Trip start/end: Las Vegas, NV
Level of hiking: Intermediate (not recommended for new hikers and kids)
Daily hiking distances: approx. 7-10 mi/ day
Kids: 16+ (no discount is given)
Weather is mild in the Winter time (December) - day average is in upper 60s and night average is in mid 40s or can be close to freezing. While cold or hot weather, high winds and rain is possible it is not likely because rain is a rare event in the desert. Best way to be prepared is to wear layers and be ready to put an extra on or take something off.
Every day we will start hiking in the early mornings, because days are short and sunset is around 4.30 pm. So, be ready to layer up.
What to bring:
- A small-size suitcase or Duffel bag or a Backpack for your main luggage (Note: Please don't bring too big and bulky backpacks)
- A small backpack 25-30L for day-hikes (to carry a water reservoir, an extra layer, a hiking snack, sun block, and a personal first aid kit).
- Head lamp (it is good to have light when your hands are free always keep it in your backpack on a hiking trail)
- Trekking poles – optional (if you are used to hike with trekking poles, bring them. Otherwise, not necessary. Note: Hiking poles are not allowed in carry on luggage)
- Water bottle or camelback reservoir (1.5-2L)
- Several zip lock bags for your personal garbage/leftovers during hiking days
- Sunblock (UV 50+), lip balm, hand lotion (skin gets dry in desert)
- Personal toiletries : toothpaste, toothbrush etc.
- Your personal first aid kit (personal medications you can’t do without). The guide will have essentials.
- Face covering (needed on a flight and indoor public places, visitor centers etc)
- Ear plugs, if you are a sensitive sleeper
Outfit for hiking:
- Good sturdy high-ankled hiking boots, well-worn before the trip (!) Please don’t bring brand new boots, try them a few times on hiking trails before the trip, to avoid painful blisters while on a trip
- Comfortable tennis shoes (it's good to have a change of shoes for off-trail activities)
- Light hiking pants (shorts or yoga pants are not recommended – to prevent sunburns)
- Light long-sleeved loose shirt (for sun protection)
- A change of long/short-sleeved t-shirts for hiking (preferably a quick-dry fabric, not cotton)
- A change of long hiking socks (not cotton. merino wool is the best)
- Comfortable outfit for sleeping in a cabin (PJs)
- Fleece jacket or light sweater
- Gloves for chilly mornings
- A down-jacket for chilly evenings and mornings
- Gaiters to protect your shoes and pants from sand & mud (optional)
For hot springs:
- Flip flops
- Sarong or big towel, some bath robes for hot springs - to walk from hot springs to your cabin. It is not comfortable to go to hot springs in hiking clothes
- Swimming suite – they have opened a nice outdoor basin and several hot tubs
Participant can cancel their trip anytime prior departure with the following penalties:
Registration deposit (if applicable) is non-refundable after being paid;
Cancellation 30 to 21 days before departure - up to 50% of the Trip cost
Cancellation 20 to 0 calendar days before departure – non refundable
Trip cancellation insurance is advisable; it protects all registration deposits and payments for both air and land cost.
Arrival in Las Vegas, NV in the evening. Meet at the airport and drive to Tecopa Hot Springs ( 1.5 hrs). Overnight at Tecopa Delight Hot Springs resort. Hotsprings pools are available 24h.