About one and a half hours north of Quito, in the Cotacachi-Cayapas Ecological Reserva, is the Laguna de Cuicocha. It is a mystic crater lake with two islands in the middle. They seem to be shaped like a guinea pig’s back. In the kichwa language, the word ‘Cuicocha’ means “guinea pig lake”. Guinea pigs are important animals for Ecuadorians, as they need little attention, reproduce fast and make for a high protein meal. The hike around the lake takes approximately 4 hours. It shows you the great diversity of Ecuador’s precious flora including wonderful orchids.
The hike around Cuicocha Lagoon is a perfect way to get your acclimatization started for higher peaks in Ecuador.
Any questions? Reach out to our climbing experts on email@example.com or +593968959533 (WhatsApp or call).
- see program / itinerary
- certified bi-lingual guide (NATIONAL GUIDE EC)
- transportation in private vehicle from / to Quito
- park entrance fees & formalities
- meals as specified (lunchbox)
- cost for program changes
- tips & any other expenses not explicitly mentioned
- 60 or more days prior to departure: the total amount paid will be refunded, minus handling & administrative charges (if any)
- 59 - 30 days prior to departure: 50% of the total amount paid will be forfeited
- 29 and less days prior to departure: the total amount paid will be forfeited
You are an individual hiker and want to book a private tour / guide.
You are booking as a group of 2 persons.
Please note that in case you select this option as an individual climber, your booking might be subject to cancellation, as we do not offer open groups.
Please note that in case you select this option as an individual climber or group of 2, your booking might be subject to cancellation, as we do not offer open groups.
Pick up in Quito at approx. 07.00 am, drive towards the North of Ecuador (approx. 2,5 hrs). Our target is the Cotacachi-Cayapas Ecological Reserve where we check in. Afterwards we start our hike around the CUICOCHA lagoon. On the way we enjoy a small picknick for lunch and breathtaking views. After completing the hike (approx. 4 hours), we start our journey back to Quito.
tech. data: ↑↓ 650 m / 2130 ft | ↔ 12,5 km / 7.8 mi
catering: - / LB / -