Climbing the rocky summit of Iliniza Norte (5.126 m / 16,818 ft) is a very rewarding target for getting first high altitude experience or as preparation for the higher summits. This beautiful summit is just 1,5 hours South of Quito and offers wonderful views of the surrounding volcanos during its climb. The hike to the refuge is straight forward and after that it's getting interesting, in a scrambling section towards the summit over "el paso de la muerte". Definitely a trip of a lifetime - join us!
Technically the climb is not very difficult, nevertheless good fitness is required and some previous experience highly recommended.
Another very important point is proper acclimatization. To really enjoy the climb we recommend at least one or two acclimatization climbs, including hikes in altitude and steadily increasing your sleeping altitude if possible.
Any questions? Reach out to our climbing experts on email@example.com or +593968959533 (WhatsApp or call).
- see program / itinerary
- certified bi-lingual guide (ASEGUIM / IVBV - UIAGM - IFMGA), max. 1 guide per 4 climbers
- transportation in private vehicle from / to Quito
- park entrance fees & climbing permits
- meals as specified (lunch box)
- group equipment: ropes and other guiding gear
- catering (see program)
- personal technical equipment (harness, helmet, carabiners, screws, slings etc. & crampons, ice axe if necessary)
- boots and other private equipment - check our equipment list
- insurances (please make sure that you have an insurance covering risks of mountain climbing)
- cost for program changes
- tips & any other expenses not explicitly mentioned
- 60 or more days prior to departure: the total amount paid will be refunded, minus handling & administrative charges (if any)
- 59 - 30 days prior to departure: 50% of the total amount paid will be forfeited
- 29 and less days prior to departure: the total amount paid will be forfeited
You are an individual climber and want to book a private tour / guide.
You are booking as a group of 2 people.
Please note that in case you select this option as an individual climber, your booking might be subject to cancellation, as we do not offer open groups.
You are booking as a group of 3 or more people.
Please note that in case you select this option as an individual climber or group of 2, your booking might be subject to cancellation, as we do not offer open groups.
APPROXIMATE TIMES (subject to change according to conditions and fitness level of participants):
Early start at approx. 7 am, drive to the parking area in the Natural Reserve Los Ilinizas (3970 m / 13020 ft), register at the entrance and at approx. 9 am start of the hike up to the Refugio Nuevos Horizontes (approx. 2 - 3 hours) at 4730 m / 15520 ft, where we will have a short rest.
Afterwards we continue the ascent to ILINIZA NORTE (5.126 m / 16,818 ft), approx. 2-hour-tour with nice rock scrambling sections to the summit, descent via a steep alternate route down to the parking lot, transfer back to our accommodation.
tech. data: ↑ 1150 m / 3770 ft | → 7,1 km / 4.4 mi & ↓ 1150 m / 3770 ft | → 5,4 km / 3.6 mi
catering: - / LB / -