Since its introduction this route proved to be gorgeous for its profusion of scenic spots and the number of clients it has been receiving. It gives hikers enough time to acclimatize because it is long than the other routes. However, the duration of the hike, should not be a point of worry as the route is graced with gentle steepness with a high summit success rate.
The only route that can take you to Shira peak and expose you to the Eden like beauty of Shira plateau. This “Everlasting flowers” infested part of the mountain is an ancient caldera aged roughly a million and a half years. The appearance of rocks found in this area will remind you of the artistic abilities poured in the formation of this very planet.
· Thermal Hat (Balaclavas are also ideal)
· Wide Brimmed Hat (Highly essential. A baseball cap is the bare minimum)
· Sunglasses (should cover eyes completely)
· Scarf / Balaclava
· Waterproof Jacket (Gore-Tex or similar with hood) - Must fit comfortably OUTSIDE your warm layer
· Thermal Jacket - down or synthetic down (Not essential if you have a good waterproof jacket and at least 2 good fleeces)
· Lightweight Fleece
· Heavyweight Fleece
· Shirts x 2 (With sleeves are best - keep of sun trekking and insects at night on safari)
· Thermal Gloves (lightweight glove that can fit inside waterproof outer glove)
· Waterproof outer glove / mitten
· Thermal underwear
· Lightweight Trousers x 2 (NOT JEANS) - Jeans when wet are terrible to walk in. Fine on safari however
· Waterproof / windproof trousers (Essential for all trekking and mountain itineraries)
· Socks (1 pair per day trekking)
· Waterproof hiking boots (worn in) – with ankle support
· Lightweight hiking boots / shoes
· Sandals / tevas (Great for relaxing your feet after long walks)
· Headlamp + spare batteries (Even on safari this is an essential item - many camps have solar lighting and so head lights are perfect for reading at night)
· Hand sanitizer 250ml
· Sun cream > factor 25, preferably 40
· Waterproof day rucksack (for carrying water and other essentials on the day to day hikes)
· Kit bag – Internal flights in East Africa require soft packs.
· Small towel
· Walking Poles (very useful on descends and helps reduce stress on knees) x 2
· Water bottle 2 x 2liters (we recommend any good brand that would keep water from freezing)
· Sleeping bag + thermal liner (-20C) - supplied on all trips where relevant EXCEPT Standard Specification
· Insurance Reference
· Insurance emergency telephone number
· Medication (On your Booking form, list the medication you take or intend to take)
· Allergies and dietary limitations – These should be clearly indicated on your booking form
If you have any questions on what to bring please ask well in advance of your trip to make it easier for us to reply in a timely manner.
Rental gear services are also available for any item that you may not have. However, please note that rental gear should only be used as a last resort in case of broken/missing items.
*This is a Luxury package based on 2 pax per person sharing with an option for an upgrade to a VIP package or downgrade to a Standard package. Pricing per person also gets farer the more you are in a group. Kindly get in touch with us for a customized package*
We set out in vehicles to the starting point of the Lemosho trail (Alt 2,250m / 7,380ft) Here you meet the rest of your crew and set off at a leisurely pace into Afromontane forest. Picnic lunch is served en route, and camp is reached by midafternoon. Overnight Forest Camp -Alt 2860m / 9,383ft (full board).
Start altitude - 7,380ft
Maximum altitude - 9,383ft
End altitude - 9,383ft
Vertical gain - 2,003ft
Drop - 0ft
Miles - 3
Kilometers - 4.8
Hike time (approx) - 5 hours