Why is this photography experience so Magical?
The joy and vivid imagery participants are able to capture brings an instantaneous "ah-ha!" moment and delight when it all comes together in-camera! It truly is like magic! All while sitting, relaxed in your chair at 5000' altitude (cooler than the valley), taking in the amazing nature of Madera Canyon in southern Arizona.
Join instructors Lisa Langell and Kim Gray on this magical and very memorable experience. You will be amidst myriad hummingbirds that are concentrated in this renown area as they travel northward through Madera Canyon, Arizona-- an internationally known flyway for migrating hummingbirds.
What's truly unique about this event?
• No need to share a station! You get your own fully dedicated flash setup station unlike most other workshops that require you to share stations and thus dramatically limit your photography time
• Learn low-key (black background & dramatic light), traditional, and high-key (light style, white background) photography of hummingbirds
• We thoroughly teach you how to use flash setups so that you can do it anywhere
What else can you expect?
• Instructors: 2
• Participants: 8
• We provide all specialty gear & flowers - simply bring your camera, lenses, a trigger and tripod!
• Access to post-processing tutorials
• Photograph just steps from your room --no hiking required
• Lots of laughter, smiles and joy included in every event!
What you will learn:
• Learn how to set the proper exposure settings for all styles of hummingbird photography listed above using off-camera flash
• Properly use multiple off-camera flashes to illuminate and freeze the birds' wings
• Position flowers, backdrops, lights, and feeders to get excellent images
• Learn how to capture photographs of bats at night
• Post-process images captured in-camera as well as optional compositing
• Basic troubleshooting so that if something is amiss, you'll know how to fix it
• Understand the ethics and research of using low-powered flash photography with the birds
Appropriate for those who are in good health and can participate in half or full day events. They generally involve walking at a light to moderate intensity at a light to moderate pace. Involves standing for longer periods of time, walking on flat or very gentle incline/declines on paved or unpaved surfaces for short periods (5-15 mins) with standing for periods of up to one hour. Frequent stops made as needed for rest, but seating may/may not be available at all times.
Solid knowledge of manual exposure settings and working knowledge of your camera body.
Madera Canyon, Arizona
Santa Rita Lodge
Wildlife abounds in Madera Canyon! The following birds and animals are often spotted in the spring at the lodge or on nearby trails. This offers additional opportunities for you to photograph wildlife.
Birds often sighted here:
• Mexican Jay
• Gould's Turkey
• Gambel's Quail
• Bridled Titmouse
• Arizona Woodpecker
• Elf Owl (Spring)
• Elegant Trogon (spring/fall)
• Black-headed grosbeak
• Summer and hepatic tanager
• Sulfur-bellied flycatchers
• Painted redstart
• Bell's vireo
• Pygmy owl
• Mexican whip-poor-will
• Whiskered screech owl
• Zone-tailed hawk
Mammals sighted here:
• Lesser long-nosed bat
• Arizona Gray squirrel
• Rock squirrel
• Coues whitetail deer
• Black bear
Comfortable, quality lodging is included in the price of the workshop. You will be staying and photographing hummingbirds right on the grounds of the charming and historic Santa Rita Lodge. The lodge is nestled in Madera Canyon, which lies within the Santa Rita Mountains of the Coronado National Forest. These mountains are considered a Sky Island and feature several unique habitats and species endemic to the area.
• Private Room option: You may bring one additional, non-participating guest at no extra cost
• Shared room option: Share your room (two beds) with one other participant of the same gender. No extra guests.
• Extending your stay? Contact the lodge to make your additional reservation independently.
Two registrants will share the same room with two beds. Registrants will be of the same gender.
Private room with a queen or king bed. Registered participant is welcome to bring one non-photographing guest. Guest is not allowed to use the equipment we provide nor photograph at the stations provided.