Join us on a very special Reality Tour to Oaxaca, home to 16 different indigenous groups, the largest indigenous population of any Mexican state, during the annual Day of the Dead/Dia de los Muertos celebration. Dating back to the Aztecs, this celebration is a family event to remember departed souls and to celebrate the resurrection of their spirits. They are welcomed back with seas of marigold flowers, elaborate sugar skulls, painted faces, colorful parades, live music and traditional dances.
In addition, explore Oaxaca’s rich culture through excursions to historical archeological ruins, mezcal palenques, and artisan workshops. Witness Oaxaca’s vital culture of resistance based on local indigenous traditions. We will meet the local leaders and women who are often at the forefront of these struggles, organizing themselves and their communities and leading efforts to revitalize local language and culture.
* Take part in the Day of the Dead/Dia de los Muertos Celebrations
* Learn about the indigenous people of Oaxaca, their history and struggle to maintain identity
* Meet with local political figures to learn about the current political situation
* Speak with social justice leaders, including professors, teachers, and activists
* Explore the colonial city of Oaxaca while you learn about its history
* Explore local markets
* Learn about Oaxacan migration to the U.S.
* Learn about the repercussions of resort tourism development for local people
* Meet artists and learn about the role they play in the popular movement of Oaxaca
* Visit to a temazcal, a traditional vapor bath and learn about herbology and traditional medicine
* Double-room accommodations. Single room are an additional $250.
* On-ground transportation, including airport pick-up and drop-off
* Trip leader and translations
* Preparatory reading and orientation materials
* Admission and fees to all program activities
* Two meals per day
[Please note the trip price does NOT include international airfare and Global Exchange does not arrange air travel. However, we are happy to put you in touch with preferred air travel specialists if you would like a recommendation. ]
** Please note this trip is not confirmed until the minimum group size is met **
Arrive in Quito and transfer to hotel
Dinner and Introductions
Overnight at Hotel Ikala