Join the Ultimate Patagonia Adventure! If you love hikes and outdoors this trip is just for you! Enjoy the most incredible views as you hike in the Fitz Roy area of Argentinian Patagonia, walk on the surface of the giant Perito Moreno glacier, and marvel the beauty of the legendary Tierra del Fuego (Land of Fire) - a home to Magellanic penguin colony on a Beagle Channel.
💃🏼 Buenos Aires, Start your adventure from the city of Tango, try the best cultural and gastronomy experiences in a company of a knowledgeable local guide
🏔 El Chalten: Take 2 epic day hikes on the foothills of Mt. Fitz Roy
🧊 El Calafate:. Experience the wonders of Los Glaciares National Park, Perito Moreno Glacier, one of the world's largest. Walk on it's surface of iceberg in crampons is doable for everyone. Taste a shot of whiskey with a glacier ice as a reward! :-)
🔥 Ushuaia: Reach the end of the Earth. Explore Tierra del Fuego national park on foot and kayaks.
🐧 Walk with Penguins on Martillo island on the legendary Beagle Channel
✈️ Trip start/end: Buenos Aires, Argentina
😫 Level of difficulty: Intermediate, no special climbing skills or equipment required
🏔 Participant's Physical fitness: Good. Previous hiking experience is preferred
🏡 Comfort Lodging: Hotel 3* in the historic neighborhood of Buenos Aires, Charming chalet-style hotels in El Chalten, El Calafate, and Ushuaia (twin sharing rooms w/private bathroom)
🚙 Included land&sea transportation: private van, ferry canoe & zodiac boat rides
🍭 Kids: 14`+ (assisted by a parent, previous hiking experience is a must)
Level of difficulty: Intermediate to Upper Intermediate. Be prepared for relatively strenuous hikes in El Chalten, but those are undoubtedly the highlights of this trip. 2 full days of hikes (8-9 hrs total) , including some steep uphill/downhill rocky portions.
The trails are well-marked. The distance of each hike is 12-13 mi on average with an altitude gain of approx. 2000-2500 feet (pls see more detailed info in the itinerary below).
Previous hiking experience is required.
Hiking in Tierra del Fuego national park is considered easy, not steep, 3-5 miles round trip.
If you have any health issues, previous injuries, or pre-existing health conditions or you are in the process of recovering after surgery, please notify Organizer before departure. Pregnant women are NOT allowed for hiking activities in El Chalten and not allowed for Perito Moreno Mini-trek (according to the rules of the local provider company). The age limit for Perito Moreno Mini-Trek is between 12 to 65 y.o.
NO high altitude treks: The good thing is that Patagonian treks are located at LOW ELEVATION, there is no risk of altitude sickness. Altitudes range between 600 to 4000 feet. The altitude gain on the day treks hikes is 2000 feet on average, which is doable for the healthy and relatively fit person.
Hiking season: Beginning of summer in Patagonia is the ideal time for hiking and photography opportunities.
Weather in Patagonia (El Chalten, El Calafate, Tierra del Fuego Ushuaia):
It is characterized by an unstable trans-Andean climate, with very strong winds. Average day temperatures of 12-23°C (54-75°F). Rain and strong wind is very possible any time all year round. Always come prepared for the 4 seasons. As Patagonia climate is very unstable, rain and shine can happen in the same day.
Weather in Buenos Aires : Warm. The average daily temperatures are around 80-85F (26-30C). The probability of rain is still high.
PATAGONIA (El Chalten, El Calafate, Tierra del Fuego)
Outfit and gear for hiking:
- Lightweight insulated down-jacket (evenings and mornings can be chilly)
- Windproof/Waterproof jacket for hiking (preferably gore-tex to keep you dry in case of downpours).
- Hiking pants that are breathable and light are a must, as these will dry out quickly after rain and will keep you from getting too warm when hiking long distances.
- Rain-poncho - suggested, if your hiking jacket doesn’t provide enough water-resistance
- Fleece jacket or hoody
- A change of quick-dry T-shirts, including long-sleeved (not cotton, as it does not dry as quickly, or keep you as warm during active days)
- Woolen or fleece beanie
- Sun hat
- Gloves (preferably water-resistant )
- High-ankle hiking socks (merino wool hiking socks will keep your feet extra comfortable and warm)
- High-ankle trekking boots. Good sturdy waterproof boots that have been well worn before the trip (to avoid blisters). If you have brand new boots, try them on hiking trails BEFORE the trip.
- Comfortable tennis shoes (a change after hiking, as you feet will need some rest)
Other gear & accessories:
- Backpack for daily hikes and excursions, (~28-35L), make sure it has enough space for all your daily kit: water, extra warm layer, sunscreen, a snack, sunblock, personal first-aid kit etc…
- Backpack protection water-resistant cover (dry bag the size of your backpack)
- Sun block (UV50) + Lip balm
- Water bottle/hydration system or camelback (min 1.5L)
- Personal first aid Kit (Tylenol or ibuprofen, Imodium, band aids, eye drops, cough&sinus relief, any other personal medicines you can’t do without)
- Trekking poles - very suggested for your knees protection (we have 2 days of relatively steep hiking in El Chalten). Trekking poles are allowed into the checked baggage and not allowed in carry-on. You may rent trekking poles in El Chalten for additional cost in the local gear rental shop (subject to availability, sorry we can't make an advance order for rent).
- Crampons for ice walk will be provided at no additional cost before the Glacier Mini-trek.
Argentina is fully reopened for international travelers
Covid tests or sworn statements are NO LONGER REQUIRED on arrival
If the Trip departure is canceled by Organizer, the amount paid by Participant will be FULLY refundable;
If the trip is canceled by Participant due to any personal reason, the following penalties will be applied:
👉🏽 Cancellation outside of 121 days before departure - registration deposit is fully refundable
👉🏽 Cancellation 120 to 90 calendar days before departure (as soon as the trip is confirmed and flights are purchased) - 30% of the total trip cost is non-refundable
👉🏽 Cancellation 89 to 45 calendar days before departure – up to 50% of the trip cost is non-refundable
👉🏽 Cancellation 44 to 0 days before departure - Up to 100% of the trip cost is non-refundable
Travel Medical Insurance is mandatory for this trip.
It's helpful to think about insurance covering you against 3 different types of event:
- A minor accident, incident or delay that disrupts your holiday and incurs an unexpected cost (e.g. flight delay, broken ankle, lost luggage).
- A major accident or event that requires emergency attention, evacuation and/or repatriation
- Cancellation of your holiday by yourself, most likely in advance, as a result of poor health or the requirement to support a family member.
We would recommend a medium sized not bulky suitcase for your travels.
Luggage allowance at Aerolineas Argentinas:
- Hand luggage 5kg - dimensions must not exceed 55 x 35 x 25cm (21.5 x 13.5 x 9in)
- Checked luggage: 15kg - dimensions must be less than 158cm (62in) for combined height + length + width. Excess luggage weight between 16 and 23kg is allowed with an extra fee.
MONEY & CURRENCY
The official currency of Argentina is the Argentine Peso, however, it's common to use US dollars when traveling in the country.
Pre-travel currency options
- Take some budget in US dollars with you in cash (for small pocket expenses, souvenirs, paying for your meals at the restaurants at group dinners, for tipping etc).
- Bring notes in a mixture of 20,10, 5, 1s bills. Change can be hard to come by in Patagonia, so be sure to break your large notes whenever you can (sometimes smaller shops may not be able to sell you anything if you are trying to pay with a high note denomination).
- Take two credit or debit cards with you (in case one doesn’t work) to withdraw local currency from ATMs and/or for payments: Visa and MasterCard are widely accepted.
(!) Please be aware that you may be charged fees every time you use an ATM or pay with a credit card. Merchants often impose a 2-4% surcharge for paying with a card, which means paying in cash is often cheaper.
- There are ATMs in Buenos Aires international airport and in town as well
- At "Casa de Cambio" (street currency exchange kiosks) you can exchange some of your USD notes into local currency. The exchange rate in "Casa de Cambio" at the airport tends to be quite low. You need an ID to exchange US dollars. Sometimes you can exchange USD at hotel..
- All major towns Argentinian Patagonia have ATMs, but please note that El Calafate and El Chalten are notoriously problematic (there is only one in El Chalten and its always empty), so try to plan ahead and withdraw enough cash in Buenos Aires
- Most restaurants in towns accept Visa/MasterCard/Amex, however, please be aware that cards are not usually accepted in more remote parts of Argentina, please stock up on some local currency before venturing into more remote areas
- Even if you intend to pay by card and/or withdraw local currency from an ATM, please ensure that you carry some US dollars cash as your backup currency as well
As a rough guide, you should budget $45-60 USD per person per day for your lunch and dinner.
It is at your discretion whether or not you choose to tip, however, if you do decide to tip, we generally suggest as a rule of thumb:
Meals at restaurants: 10% of your bill. Local Guides $3-5 USD per person per day for groups - this will be paid at the end of your tour/excursion to your guide.
ELECTRICITY & OUTLETS:
The Argentinian plug outlet usually has three flat prongs or 2 parallel round prongs. Please bring an adaptor. The voltage is 220V.
WIFI & CELLPHONE RECEPTION
Cellphone reception will be available in towns, limited or non-existent whilst out on treks .
Wifi will be available in hotels and in some public places in towns.
Welcome to Argentina, the home of Tango, Evita Peron and Diego Maradona!
Arrive at Buenos Aires International Terminal (EZE) in the morning.
Meet with your teammates, and take a private van to the hotel.
3 PM - Meet at the hotel lobby with your local guide. Take a guided 3hrs tour in the city with locals: explore Recoleta, La Boca, and El Centro neighborhoods, with stops to taste local gastronomy (combo: bus/walk).
Back to the hotel around 7 PM.
Overnight stay in a hotel Dazzler by Wyndham Polo 4*.