Experience the heart and soul of beautiful Slovenia. Starting and ending in Ljubljana, we will experience culture, history, breathtaking natural beauty, pristine lakes, rivers, and waterfalls, green valleys and pastures, alpine plateaus, excellent food and wine, charming towns and villages, and traditional hospitality during this epic journey through Slovenia.
This is a custom designed program tailor-made to feature the incredible gastronomy, culture, nature, and traditions of Slovenia. We will meet some of the best producers, chefs, and winemakers in the country. We will taste some of the best meals and products that Slovenia has to offer, sample special local wines, learn about winemaking history and native varietals, and taste some of the best organic olive oil in Slovenian Istria.
We will savor, (and learn how to make!) some of the country’s most prized cheeses in the lovely Bohinj valley, and will be warmly welcomed to dine with, and learn from Slovenian producers, winemakers, hosts, an owner of a centuries’ old farmhouse and cellar, and more.
We will visit popular locales such as picturesque Lake Bled and charming, historic Ljubljana, the stunning Goriška Brda wine region, Slovenian Istria, and the endearing seaside town of Piran, as well as less commonly visited regions in eastern and central Slovenia.
Unforgettable natural sights we will experience throughout the program are myriad and include lakes, gorges, alpine valleys, the Julian Alps, picturesque Logar Valley, Martuljek waterfalls, Triglav National Park, the Adriatic coast, Slovenian Istria with its vineyards, olives groves and orchards, and the Škocjan Caves – a Unesco world heritage site and the largest underground river canyon in the world; famous for its giant dripstone formations, underground rapids, and lakes.
Join us on this unforgettable journey in Slovenia. Taste, explore, experience, connect, and discover Slovenia with Essence Journeys.
The group size will be small or semi-private in order to facilitate a personal experience. In addition to experienced local guides throughout the program, an experienced trip coordinator will be with you from the moment the program begins to the moment of your departure. Should you wish to organize pre- or post- trip extensions for independent travel, we would also be more than happy to help you arrange your continued journey in the region.
· Velika Planina Plateau and Logar Valley
· Lake Bled
· Lake Bohinj and Triglav National Park – taste and participate in the making of some of Slovenia’s most delicious artisanal cheeses
· Martuljek waterfalls
· Historic town of Kobarid and the pristine Soča River Valley
· Scenic mountain drives
· Moderate level hikes and walks in stunning settings
· Wine tasting, dinner, and cellar tour in Goriška Brda - Slovenia’s most beautiful winegrowing region
· Vipava valley, Karst region, and the Karst villages – enjoy lunch in a 650 year old farmhouse in the Vipava Valley
· Dinner of regional specialties in the 400 year old farmhouse in one of Karst’s most beautiful villages, Tomaj
· Taste the local Teran wine, made from Refošk grape (geographically protected)
· Kayak in the Piran Bay and taste fresh local seafood
· Explore charming Piran, seaside on the Adriatic and one of Slovenia’s loveliest towns
· Explore Slovenian Istria – taste excellent local olive oils, explore traditional villages, vineyards, and enjoy special traditional dishes from the region
· Taste the best olive oils in the region and meet the producers
· Explore Škocjan Caves Regional Park (UNESCO World Heritage site) - the largest underground river canyon in the world
An English speaking, professional local guide throughout the trip + 1 Essence Travel trip coordinator for the duration of the trip.
Ground transportation, meals and drinks, and activities and services as noted per the itinerary
9 nights accommodation based on two people sharing a twin/double room.
Note: *Limited number of single supplements may be available at single supplement rate.
International airfare and airport taxes
Travel insurance (highly recommended)
Optional gratuities to your guides
Regular price based on shared accommodation
*limited number of single supplement packages may be available
Register before November 1, 2019, and receive $100 off the cost of the program.
Group registration discount: Register together with more than one person at time of booking (as a group or as a couple), and receive $100 off cost of the program.
*limited number of single supplement packages may be available. Please inquire.