Climbing the active Tungurahua volcano (5.023 m / 16,480 ft) is definitely hot! Start is in the city of Baños, the elevation gain you make unmatched on any other climb in Ecuador and the flora and vegetation zones you cross simply breathtaking. It is also a good option for getting first high-altitude experience or as preparation for the higher summits. On day one we make it up to the refuge throw a cloud forest before we then approach the summit via sandy slopes on its very steep cone - directly up. Approaching the crater, you will see and feel how active it still is. Definitely a trip of a lifetime - join us!
Technically the climb is not difficult, nevertheless good fitness is required and some previous experience highly recommended.
Another very important point is proper acclimatization. To really enjoy the climb, we recommend at least one or two acclimatization climbs, including hikes in altitude and steadily increasing your sleeping altitude if possible.
Any questions? Reach out to our climbing experts on firstname.lastname@example.org or +593968959533 (WhatsApp or call).
- see program / itinerary
- certified bi-lingual guide (ASEGUIM / IVBV - UIAGM - IFMGA), max. 1 guide per 4 climbers
- transportation in private vehicle from / to Quito
- accommodation at refuge with dinner and breakfast
- meals as specified (lunch on day 1, snacks for the ascent)
- park entrance fees & climbing permits
- group equipment: ropes and other guiding gear
- catering (see program)
- personal technical equipment (harness, helmet, carabiners, screws, slings etc. & crampons, ice axe if necessary)
- boots and other private equipment - check our equipment list
- insurances (please make sure that you have an insurance covering risks of mountain climbing)
- cost for program changes
- tips & any other expenses not explicitly mentioned
- 60 or more days prior to departure: the total amount paid will be refunded, minus handling & administrative charges (if any)
- 59 - 30 days prior to departure: 50% of the total amount paid will be forfeited
- 29 and less days prior to departure: the total amount paid will be forfeited
You are an individual climber and want to book a private tour / guide.
You are booking as a group of 2 or more people.
Please note that in case you select this option as an individual climber, your booking might be subject to cancellation, as we do not offer open groups.
DAY 1 + 2
After breakfast (approx. 9 am), we drive to Baños de Agua Santa and have lunch on the way. By car we arrive at the park entrance (2800 m / 9190 ft) where we register and start our climb. We hike for approx. 3 hours through a cloud forest up to the Tungurahua refuge at 3800 m / 12470 ft where we will prepare dinner and spend the night.
After an early breakfast we start our summit push to mama TUNGURAHUA (5.023 m / 16,480 ft). The start time depending on conditions. The climb is constantly steep and leads up over the sandy slopes first to the "cruz del Alemán" - a memorial site, then to the crater and last but not least the summit. It will take us between 4 - 6 hours to reach the highest point. Then we descend back to the refuge for getting our luggage and then down to the parking lot, transfer back to our accommodation.
tech. data day 1: ↑ 1000 m / 3280 ft | → 4 km / 2.5 mi
tech. data day 2: ↑ 1200 / 3940 ft ↓ 2200 m / 7220 ft | ↔ 11 km / 6.8 mi
catering day 1: - / L / D
catering day 2: B / LB / -