Join one of the Bay Area’s premier yoga instructors, Mark Morford, and one of its most gifted bodyworkers/healers, Mark Anthony Haviland, for a week of yoga, deep transformation and tropical bliss, in direct view of a volcano. Better yet, make it three.
Join us for full week at the gorgeous, unpretentious, thatched-roof Villa Sumaya eco-retreat center on world-renowned Lake Atitlán in Guatemala. Villa Sumaya is a 10-minute boat ride from the town of Panajachel, which is a three-hour drive from the airport in Guatemala City, but a universe away in perspective.
• DESTINATION •
Lake Atitlán, located in the Sierra Madre de Chiapas mountain range, is celebrated as one of the most beautiful lakes in the world. It’s famous for its stunning vistas, most notably the three breathtaking volcanoes to the south. The lake itself is essentially an enormous caldera, formed from an eruption some 84,000 years ago (give or take – thanks Wikipedia!)
Full details on Villa Sumaya: http://villasumaya.com/
• YOGA PRACTICE •
Yoga Alchemy is not suited for absolute yoga beginners or those dealing with serious injury. A reasonable level of physical fitness and Vinyasa yoga experience are assumed. Also, the mountains around Villa Sumaya are a bit rugged and challenging. And you’ll want to explore! Please plan accordingly
• BODYWORK & HEALING •
Mark Haviland’s powerful work – both his bodywork and his workshops – goes deep, and gets there quickly.
From Mark’s description: “Anatomy of Emotion includes exploration of The Chinese Five Element Theory; Meridian–Muscle–Emotion connections; Self-care techniques including Qi Gong, self massage and partner massage; Meeting the Shadow: a personal inquiry into the parts of us that have been left behind. Also: Transformational Bodywork demos, during which Mark will take volunteers (3 or 4 demos total) to assist the participants in seeing that what is trapped in the tissues and lurking beneath the “floorboards” of one’s daily consciousness.
• OPTIONAL AWESOMENESS •
Our 2015 retreat included (at small additional costs) authentic shamanic ceremonies and private shamanic readings, an astonishing volcano climb, and a day trip to the famous market in Chichicastanango. Many more options are available, but you might find Villa Sumaya so enchanting, you have little need to leave.
• ROOM INFO •
All rooms at Villa Sumaya are beautiful, cozy, unpretentious, with private baths and spectacular views. Most have hammocks and patios. Visit villasumaya.com to see all the room options (with photos). We’ll be using the entire facility: Maya Rose, Bamboo House, Bungalows and Lotus House.
• PAYMENT INFO •
$300 (non-refundable) deposit to hold your spot. Remainder due no later than October 3 (sooner to lock in your room choice - full-paying students get priority).
- Accommodations at Villa Sumaya: Triple room (or other room options available for additional costs)
- A dozen (+/-) full Vinyasa classes with MM; A daily morning dedication practice, plus an evening practice on alternating days with meditation, Yoga Nidra, dharma talks, altar work and more (from Mark Morford)
- Three Anatomy of Emotion workshops (on alternating days), covering psycho-emotional holdings in the body and how to develop a more intuitive corporal awareness - from Mark Haviland
- Private Transformational Bodywork sessions available (additional cost, to be booked in advance via Mark H.)
- Three amazing vegetarian meals daily (meat available at a small extra cost.
- One free 60-minute massage session with one of Villa Sumaya’s healers
- Lots of time for swimming in the lake, sunbathing, visits to local villages, journaling, hammocks, reading and simply retreating from your normal modes and stressors
- Hotel taxes
- Airfare (book early for cheapest flights!)
- Airport/water taxi transfers to/from Guatemala City (plan on about $50-100 total). We’ll arrange a couple group shuttles to get cheapest rates once all flights are booked
- Meat/alcohol (USD 7 per meal, per person)
- Private, world-altering bodywork sessions with Mark Haviland (booked/paid separately @ special retreat rates
- Additional excursions, guided tours, etc.