Spend a fantastic week exploring Arches, canyons, ancient rock art, the Colorado River, iconic movie and TV locations, and some of the best light for landscape photography in the world.
We will visit a wide variety of great locations in Arches & Canyonlands National Parks and Dead Horse Point State Park. We will also explore other great locations in an around Moab, Castle Valley & Bears Ears National Monument. The workshop will include classroom work to better your photographic craft, including time to process and critique your images. We will shoot sunrises and sunsets each day as weather allows, with a few hours each day dedicated to classroom instruction and image processing.
Subjects will include, but not be limited to: Natural arches, canyons, ancient ruins and rock art, the Colorado River, iconic movie and TV locations, and optional night photography in internationally recognized dark skies parks. We will end the workshop with a group slide show and critique.
Colin is an award-winning photographer who has spent the past several years exploring the red rock Canyonlands of Southern Utah and the mountains of Colorado. As a part time resident of Moab since 2011, he has spent several weeks a year exploring the photographic riches in and around Moab in every season, and has been leading workshops and tours in the area for several years as the founder of Rock Light Photo Tours. He is a certified and insured photography travel guide in nearby Arches, Bryce Canyon and Canyonlands national parks.
- Making your red rock images pop
- Determining proper exposure
- Capturing great images in challenging lighting conditions
- Analyzing a scene for compositional options
- Using filters to improve artistic results
- Shooting and Stitching panoramic images
- Colin's Adobe Lightroom workflow for getting the most from your images
- Creating dynamic black and white images from digital color captures
- Photographic techniques for shooting the red rock sandstone of the Colorado Plateau
- High Dynamic Range photography techniques, including multiple exposures and use of grad ND filters
- A positive group critique of images to end the workshop - this is a wonderful lesson in composition and seeing the world through other peoples' eyes.
All skill levels are welcome. Participants who have a good working knowledge of their cameras, a basic understanding of digital workflow, and knowledge or exposure to Adobe Lightroom and/or Photoshop will get the most from this workshop.
Though locations visited during this workshop are readily accessible, the hilly terrain requires some moderate hiking (typically less than 3 miles round trip). Participants MUST BE IN GOOD PHYSICAL SHAPE and able to climb and descend moderate to steep inclines. They should wear sturdy boots and use caution on slippery and rocky slopes. Keep in mind that the elevation in Moab is 4000', and Arches and Canyonlands are at 5000-6000' above sea level.
Maximum 8 photographers.
Accommodations are available in one of our two 3BR luxury vacation rental properties just 10 min. south of Moab, Utah, each with a private hot tub and a fully equipped kitchen, which will be a great base of operations for visiting Arches National Park other locations in and around Moab. One of the two properties will be the home base for the workshop, giving us a place to gather for classroom sessions, a kitchen to use for meals, and a chance to mingle with and learn from your fellow photographers. Prices shown do not include local taxes.
- Private bedroom (King bed, pvt bath (3 avail): $150/night single occ, $175/night dbl occ.
- Private bedroom (Queen bed, pvt bath (1 avail): $130/night - $150/nt dbl Occ (1 Queen, 1 full)
- Private Bedroom (King bed, shared bath (1 avail): $120/night - $135/nt dbl occ.
- Private bedroom (full bed, shared bath(1 avail): $100/night - $125/night dbl occ (2 full beds)
Please be sure to request one of the lodging options above when booking if desired. Payment taken separately. contact colin@Lightandphoto.com with questions.
Registration fee: $1065 per person (includes 6.85% Utah services tax)
Deposit to reserve a date: $300
Dates and Times
Workshop begins Fri, Oct 25, 2024 at 3pm, and ends Tue, Oct 29 at Noon.
Non-photographer/tag-along rate: $500 - for a spouse/partner/friend who wants to come along, eat meals with the group, and travel to some of our shooting locations. Note there is a double occupancy rate for the lodging options at the vacation rental properties.
Where to Meet
Participants will gather and be based at the Red Rock Garden vacation rental property in Moab, Utah. Directions and details will be sent well in advance of the workshop.